During it's long history, KDSJ has only had two owners. Harry and Eli Daniels, who came here from Sheridan, Wyoming in 1947, started the station in the historic Franklin Hotel on Main Street in Deadwood. The station was forced to relocate several times due to fires and moved to it's current location at 745 Main Street in 1952.
Al and Jeanne Decker bought the station from the Daniels brothers in 1982. Al has continued the format of the station that is the voice of five states on 980 AM and kdsj980.com featuring the best news, weather, sports, information, features, and solid gold hits.